Sunday, July 17, 2011

Checking In Unofficially

I didn't sign up for the current round of the ROW80 challenge. I've still be writing this summer, but decided to lay off the blogging for a while. The brain has been too zapped by daily thunderstorms and heat to eek too much out of it lately.

I'm about 30K into Eaters: Destination, the final novella in the zombie trilogy. The third one has definitely been the most challenging one to write, since all loose ends have to be wrapped up. There's definitely a little more character development of Cheryl and Aidan in this one...and the dangers are just as frequent. I should have my rough draft done and a cover within a few weeks.

I read in AMC's Walking Dead newsletter that they were going to be showing a preview during the Breaking Bad show tonight. I don't usually watch that show, so I forgot about it for most of today. As luck would have it, I remembered this evening and just happened to turn on the t.v. just twenty seconds before the promo aired. Note to self: you can kill zombies with a very large rock. Too bad Cheryl and Aidan won't have any of those out in the Arizona desert...

I have a new author to add to my list of favorites. I recently finished reading Ronald Malfi's Snow on my Kindle and was really impressed. The action & suspense were nonstop, and the descriptions were darkly beautiful. What more could you ask for in a horror/sci-fi thriller? Reading about a chilling snow-filled tale was perfect in the middle of July.

Speaking of dark things, if you are into paranormal romance, check out Lauralynn Elliot's Dark Relic: Vampires' Curse, the first in the Libby Fox series of novellas.

4 comments:

  1. Wow, thanks for the mention!

    I know this last book has been a challenge for you, but you'll get through it and then you'll love it. I can't wait to see what happens with Cheryl and Aidan. Too bad they don't have any big rocks....

    I'll have to check out Snow. I've never heard of the author, but if you like the book, I probably will. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're welcome. Gotta support the indies. We do it for the love of it!

    I think I will throw myself a little party when I'm done with this novella. (Or...maybe I should go shopping for new shoes :)

    Snow really was good. My only pet peeve was how many times characters counted to 10 or 20 before doing a dangerous task. Who does that? His descriptions were really creative--making dark things sound evil, yet showing their beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Ronald. Thanks for stopping by. I really think you rock as a writer. I'm looking forward to reading more of your work.

    ReplyDelete