Friday, July 19, 2013

                                          Resident Evil

Sleep has been elusive lately for many nights. After I eventually succumbed last night around 2 a.m., it was not into a restful la-la land. As if I'd been thrown into a scene from my novel, Eaters, I found myself on a deserted street. For some reason, it was necessary to open the door to a shop that I knew was filled with the undead. It will be okay...they're slow...you'll have plenty of time to dart down the street and hide before the first few stumble out and trip over each other.
It didn't happen that way.
They burst out the door and somehow acquired unthinkable speed. As I ran, I was half a block ahead of them, but they were closing fast...and I knew there was nowhere I could hide and not be found. Of course, I woke up at that futile point in this little snippet of a nightmare. Isn't it nice that you always wake up in dreams before you die in them? You do, don't you?

Eaters: The Resistance publication status = pending.

2 comments:

  1. I rarely have bad dreams, so there's not really an issue of waking up before I die. My problem is, when I'm having a good dream and I wake up before...never mind.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I had more of those "good dreams", perhaps I'd be writing more romance. LOL. Of course, the nightmares sometimes turn into stories, so there's an upside to my occasional nocturnal discomfort.

    ReplyDelete