Sunday, January 9, 2011

A Good Week

I've had a pretty good week for my first ROW80 challenge. I'm often getting more than my 500 word/day minimum writing done, because once I get 'butt in chair' in the evening and get started, enough ideas flow for me to go further. Friday night was the only night I took off (watched a silly Quentin Tarantino 'Grindhouse' movie, 'Death Proof', and spent a long time on the phone with my Mom who is caring for my ailing grandmother). I made up for it last night by writing 974 words. I'm at 4,577 words for Eaters: Dark Journey, and I should cross over 5K tonight. This will be another short .99 cent book, so I envision wrapping it up around 20-25K. I've never written a sequel before, so I'm finding it challenging to figure out how much back story to include. I'd like each story in the trilogy to stand alone, but also inspire a reader to read the 'before' and 'after' to find out what they've missed. I figure it's kind of like a soap opera, you can jump in at any point and get into the story, but without knowing the history all of the characters, you really are missing out. After I get my word count in each night, if I'm still conscious enough to read, I read a little more in the current nightstand book. Right now, it's Joe Hill's Horns. Gritty and dark, it's definitely an interesting story so far.

8 comments:

  1. Good job on making your goal. You have an interesting concept going for you. I will be checking out Eaters sometime in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eaters was great, so I can't wait for the second one to be published. Good job on keeping up with those goals. (I've really got to read Horns. I read Heart Shaped Box on your recommendation and loved it!) Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on making your goals for the week! Best of luck in week 2!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh...I didn't know it was going to say that after I deleted. I was trying to respond to Linda's comment, but it put it at the end, instead of below her post. I guess I did things out of order. So...thank you all very much for the support! I'm sending you positive cosmic vibes for the progress of your work too. Lauralynn--you read Heart Shaped Box? That will warm you up for Horns. It's not for the squeamish!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats on a great first week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great stuff so far and best of luck with the sequel - I'm in the middle of that how much backstory is necessary debate myself. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I see a lot of established writers preach against too much back story, and a lot who can't resist it. The whole premise of Joe Hill's Horns is based on back story--an event that happened earlier. So, I guess there's wiggle room, as long as you can do it without disrupting the pace of current events.

    ReplyDelete